Attorney Steve Werner represents business and real estate clients in all of their legal matters. His practice focuses on business/corporate law, commercial real estate, business start-ups, collections and foreclosure law.
A Janesville native, Werner advises Rock County clients in the following matters: business acquisitions and mergers; purchases and sales; preparing and negotiating contracts; formation of business entities and partnerships; entity dissolutions; employment matters; commercial and residential property purchases and sales; residential and commercial developments; preparing and negotiating commercial leases; tax-deferred exchanges; municipal approvals; condominium developments; business and consumer collections; and real estate foreclosures. Werner's participation on the Janesville City Plan Commission (as the Chair and a Commissioner) makes him well qualified to address various real estate matters.
Werner also has substantial experience in the area of intellectual property law. Specifically, he has helped clients with: conducting clearance searches; rendering clearance opinions in connection with hundreds of trademarks and service marks; preparing, filing and/or prosecution to registration hundreds of trademarks and service marks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office; managing client trademark portfolios in foreign jurisdictions; preparing, filing and prosecuting copyrights with the U.S. Copyright Office; selling and transferring intellectual property assets; and preparing and negotiating patent, trademark/service mark and copyright license agreements and other intellectual property-related agreements.
Werner is one of the founding members of Murphy Desmond's Janesville, Wisconsin office, which serves all of Rock County and the surrounding area. He is a shareholder and currently serves as secretary on the firm's board of directors and as co-chair of the firm's business law practice group. Werner is active in the Rock County community as a member of various boards and as a volunteer. He received the Wisconsin Super Lawyers Rising Star accolade earlier in his career, and is rated "Superb" by Avvo.
- Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1997
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 1997, J.D.
Honors: Cum Laude
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1991, B.A.
Awards & Recognition
- Rated 10.0 "Superb" by Avvo.com (2015)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers "Rising Star" - Corporate/Business Law (2007)
Associations and Memberships
- Forward Foundation - Board Member
- YMCA of Northern Rock County - Past (Director)
- Licensing Executives Society (Wisconsin Chapter) - Past (Director)
- Janesville City Plan Commission - Past (Commissioner/Chair Person)
- Mercy Health System Institutional Review Board - Present (Member)
- Junior Achievement of Wisconsin - Rock County - Present (Director)
- Janesville Innovation Center, Inc. - Present (Director and Vice President)
- Forward Janesville Incorporated - Present (Director and Past Chairman of the Board of Directors); Government Relations, Council - Present (Member/Past Chair)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Association (Member)
- Greater Beloit Chamber of Commerce, Past Board Member
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member), Young Lawyers Division - Past (Director)
- To Compensate or Not to Compensate, That is the Question: Misconstruing the Federal Regulatory Takings Analysis, Zealy v. City of Waukesha, 3 WIS. ENVTL. L.J. 203 (1996)
- Lecturer, IRC Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges, Land Title, 2007 - Present
- Lecturer, Wisconsin's Right to Cure Construction Law, South Central Wisconsin Builders Association, 2006 - Present