Attorney Steve Werner represents business owners and real estate clients in wide range of legal matters that impact their bottom line. His practice focuses on business/corporate law, commercial real estate, business start-ups, collections, and intellectual property law.
Werner advises his clients in the following: preparing and negotiating contracts; formation of business entities and partnerships; business acquisitions and mergers; purchases and sales; entity dissolutions; employer-side employment matters; commercial and residential property purchases and sales; residential and commercial developments; preparing and negotiating commercial leases; tax-deferred exchanges; municipal approvals; condominium developments; business and consumer collections; and intellectual property prosecutions and licensing.
Additionally, Werner provides legal counsel and advises on strategic planning to domestic transportation companies. For over 10 years he has worked with trucking industry members including motor carriers and transportation brokers. He has successfully assisted with trucking accident mitigation planning, as well as with general corporate liability mitigation. Werner works with corporate management on trucking contracts, insurance planning, and employment matters. He also assists his clients on being proactive with regard to trends in trucking and freight services.
Werner is a founding member of Murphy Desmond's Janesville, Wisconsin office, which serves Rock County and the surrounding area. He is a Shareholder and currently serves as Vice President on the firm's Board of Directors. Werner is active in the Rock County community as a member of various boards and as a volunteer. He received the Wisconsin Super Lawyers Rising Star accolade earlier in his career, and is rated "Superb" by Avvo.
- Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1997
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 1997, J.D.
Honors: Cum Laude
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1991, B.A.
Awards & Recognition
- Rated 10.0 "Superb" by Avvo.com
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers "Rising Star" - Corporate/Business Law (2007)
Associations and Memberships
- Licensing Executives Society Wisconsin Chapter - (Past) Director
- Janesville City Plan Commission - (Past) Commissioner/Chairperson
- Greater Beloit Chamber of Commerce - (Past) Director
- Forward Janesville Incorporated - (Past) Director, (Past) Chairman of the Board of Directors; Government Relations Council - Member, (Past) Chair
- Downtown Janesville, Inc. - Director
- Transportation Lawyers Association - Member
- Janesville Innovation Center, Inc. - Director and Vice President
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin - Member; Young Lawyers Division - (Past) Director
- Forward Foundation - Board Member, (Past) Director
- Mercy Health System Institutional Review Board - (Past) Member
- YMCA of Northern Rock County - (Past) Director
- Junior Achievement of Wisconsin, Rock County - (Past) Director
- To Compensate or Not to Compensate, That is the Question: Misconstruing the Federal Regulatory Takings Analysis, Zealy v. City of Waukesha, 3 WIS. ENVTL. L.J. 203 (1996)
- Lecturer, IRC Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges, Land Title (2007 - Present)
- Lecturer, Wisconsin's Right to Cure Construction Law, South Central Wisconsin Builders Association (2006 - Present)