Attorney William (Bill) Rameker currently serves in an "of counsel" capacity with Murphy Desmond as he retired from full practice in 2018 to spend more time with his family. He continues to work as needed with a small number of clients on creditors' rights and bankruptcy matters.
Bill has over 45 years of experience representing clients in corporate restructuring and reorganization. His expertise includes representation of secured and unsecured creditors in Chapter 11 proceedings, restructuring troubled companies both inside and outside of Chapter 11, and representing banks.
Bill has acted as attorney for Creditors' Committees and for Debtors in numerous business bankruptcies in a variety of industries. He has also acted as a State Court Receiver and has been a Bankruptcy Trustee and attorney for the Trustee in the liquidation of numerous businesses.
In June 2014, Bill led a team of Murphy Desmond lawyers who won the case of Clark v. Rameker at the U.S. Supreme Court. He was named "2014 Madison Lawyer of the Year - Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law" by Best Lawyers in America. Bill is consistently included on lists for Best Lawyers and Wisconsin Super Lawyers, he is rated AV (top rating) by Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com, and rated "Superb" on Avvo.com.
In addition to his legal practice, Bill has played an active role in the community serving as officer or director for various organizations, including Special Olympics Wisconsin, Inc., the East Madison and Madison Metropolitan YMCAs, the East Madison Jaycees, the Elvehjem Neighborhood Association, Kennedy Little League, Inc., the Optimist Club of Downtown Madison, Badger Basketball Boosters, Inc., the Wisconsin State Fair Park Foundation, Inc. and Monona Grove Education Foundation, Inc.
- Iowa, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa, 1972, J.D.
- Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 1965, B.S.
Awards & Recognition
- Madison Lawyer of the Year - Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Reorganization and Insolvency Law, Best Lawyers in America (2014)
- Best Lawyers in America - Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (1987 - present)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyer (2005-present)
- Marquis Who's Who (1989-present)
- Ranked as "Top Lawyer" in Bankruptcy, Dane County, Madison Magazine
Associations and Memberships
- Monona Grove Education Foundation, Inc., Member of Board of Directors, Vice Chairperson
- Badger Basketball Boosters, Inc., Member of Board of Directors, Past President
- The Optimist Club of Downtown Madison, Member, Distinguished Past President
- Kennedy Little League, Inc., Member of Board of Directors, Past President
- Elvehjem Neighborhood Association, Member of Board of Directors, Past President
- The East Madison Jaycees, Member, Past President
- The East Madison & Madison Metropolitan YMCAs, Member of Board of Directors
- Wisconsin State Fair Park Foundation, Inc., Board of Directors, Secretary
- Special Olympics Wisconsin, Inc., Member of Board of Directors, Chairman of Board
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, Member of Ethics Committee; Member of Presidents Circle Committee
- Western District of Wisconsin, 1975 - Present , Standing Panel Trustee, Bankruptcy
- Western District of Wisconsin Bankruptcy Bar, Founder
- Federal District Court Bar Association, Western District of Wisconsin, Member
- Dane County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights Section, 1985 - 1987, Chairperson
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights Section, 1983 - 1985, Vice-Chairperson
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights Section, 1981 - 1987, Director
- American Bar Association, Member
- Lecturer, American Bankruptcy Institute - Winter Leadership, 1993
- Lecturer: Creditor/Debtor Seminar, University of Wisconsin - Madison Law School, 1980 - Present
- Lecturer: Creditors' Rights, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Lecturer: Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy, University of Wisconsin - Madison Law School, 1980 to 1987, 2014