Attorney Sarah DeKraay’s legal practice focuses on family law matters, which includes divorce, legal separation, pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, maintenance (alimony), custody, child support, placement, paternity, grandparents' rights, child removal cases, adoptions and guardianships. She also handles post-divorce matters regarding children, child support, relocation and out-of-state custody issues, maintenance modifications, and contempt of court issues. Sarah is trained and experienced in the collaborative divorce model and serves as a mediator in divorce and family law cases.
A shareholder with Murphy Desmond, Sarah has served clients in family law matters in Madison, Dane County, and throughout southwestern Wisconsin since 2001. She earned a Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in 2002. Sarah has presented on divorce topics at seminars sponsored by the Wisconsin State Bar. She is rated 10.0 "Superb" on Avvo.com and was named a "Rising Star" by Wisconsin Super Lawyers in family law in 2012.
An avid golfer, Sarah is a board member and past president with the Executive Women’s Golf Association. In college, Sarah was a member of the women’s golf team at Indiana University, where she was a three-time All-American and Big Ten Champion golfer.
- Wisconsin, 2002
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2002
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 2002
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 2001, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2002, Business Administration, M.B.A.
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 1988, Marketing, B.S.
Awards & Recognition
Associations and Memberships
- Executive Women’s Golf Association, Board member and Past President
- First Tee of Southwestern Wisconsin, Member (2015)
- Divorce Cooperation Institute, Inc., Member
- Mentor with the Joseph A. Melli Mentorship Program (2014-Present)
- Volunteer for the Dane County Family Law Assistance Program (2012-Present)
- Dane County Mediation Program, Volunteer Mediator in Divorce Cases (2011-Present)
- Dane County Bar Association, Member (2003-Present)
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member (2002-Present)
- “Financial Mistakes by Women During Marriage” Wisconsin Woman Magazine (2009)
- “Handling a Basic Divorce" State Bar of Wisconsin (2015)
- “Guardian ad Litem Training” Program moderator, State Bar of Wisconsin (2015)
Sarah loves to play golf. After college, she competed as a professional on the Ladies European Tour and the Ladies Asian Golf Tour. Her favorite course was in Bangkok, Thailand, where monkeys grabbed the golf balls if you hit an errant shot! She has had four hole-in-ones in her career, with the most memorable at the Women’s US Open.