Attorney Roy Fine’s legal practice emphasizes business transactions, real estate, finance, estate planning, probate, mergers and acquisitions, and intellectual property. Fine has helped guide numerous start-up businesses and medium-sized companies to the next level through sound business planning, trademarks and copyright, contract negotiations and drafting, buy-sell agreements, employment issues, and real estate matters. He has also worked with mature companies and family businesses to successfully transition to the next generation or to new ownership through proactive business succession practices and mergers, and he has facilitated the resolution of numerous shareholder disputes.
Fine, who is a shareholder at Murphy Desmond and rated AV (top rating) by Martindale-Hubbell, has helped couples and individuals prepare uniquely crafted wills and trusts that effectively transfer legacies and belongings to their heirs, with special attention to tax implications. He is able to assist with prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, charitable gifting, special needs trusts, real estate and property matters, fiduciary disputes and other probate matters.
In addition to over 35 years of assisting business and estate planning clients, Fine has been active in business organizations throughout the Fox Cities, as well as with organizations related to his personal interests and talents. He is active with the Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter, has been a musician with the Fox Valley Symphony since 1986, and he frequently participates in 5K charity runs.
Fine serves clients in the firm’s Appleton and Madison offices.
- Wisconsin, 1982
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1986
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1983
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 1982, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1979, B.A.
Awards & Recognition
- AV Rated (top rating), Martindale-Hubbell/Lawyers.com
Associations and Memberships
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member (1982-Present)
- Winnebago County Bar Association, Member (1986-Present)
- Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra, Musician (1986-Present); Board-Secretary (1995-1999)
- Future Neenah, Inc., Board of Directors (1993-1995)
- Fox Cities British Car Club, Member (2001-Present)
- Wisconsin Jaguars, Ltd., Member (1991-Present)
- Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass, Board of Directors (2013-Present)
- Neenah Community Band, Musician (1986-1992)
- Fox Valley Road and Track Classic to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter (annual fundraiser), Founder/ Organizer (2000-Present)
- Articles in InSight and B2B magazines regarding business organizations and succession planning
- “Estate Planning for Glass Collectors,” Presenter, Searching for Excellence: Leaving a Legacy Symposium (September 2017)
- Fox Valley Technical College, Venture Center classes (2009-2012)
- Programs on business organizations and estate planning
Roy has a love of old cars and symphony music. Roy and his two sons restore sports and collector cars, as they are passionate about saving these special vehicles from the scrap yard. In addition, Roy plays the trombone in the Fox Valley Symphony and has had the pleasure of playing alongside famous guest artists including jazz trumpeter Doc Severinsen, Art Garfunkel, and Dennis DeYoung of STYX.