IRS Accepting Applications for Renewal of ITINs

On October 1, 2016, the IRS began accepting applications for renewal of Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs).

If you need to file a tax return in 2017 and (i) have an ITIN that you have not used on your tax returns for the prior three years, or (ii) you have an ITIN with middle digits of 78 or 79 (xxx-78-xxxx or xxx-79-xxxx), you will need to renew your ITIN before filing your tax return.

A taxpayer can renew his or her ITIN: (i) by mailing Form W-7 with the required documents to IRS at the address that appears on Form W-7, (ii) by bringing the required documents to a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA) authorized by the IRS so the CAA can review the documents and certify that your ITIN application is correct before sending it to the IRS for processing, or (iii) by bringing the required documents to the designated IRS taxpayer assistance center (you need to request an appointment before doing so).

If you would like to know more about renewing an ITIN, visit here.