As President of Murphy Desmond S.C., attorney Ginger Zimmerman is responsible for strategic planning, management, growth and development of the firm, in addition to representing her clients.
Ginger's legal practice combines her experience in business, real estate, bankruptcy, secured transactions, agricultural and commercial transactions, loan transactions, and litigation. She represents creditors, debtors, receivers and Trustees in bankruptcies, collections, foreclosures, reorganizations, liquidations and Wisconsin Chapter 128 proceedings.
Ginger also represents purchasers, sellers, landlords and tenants of commercial and agricultural real estate. Her background in commercial and agricultural law is particularly helpful in structuring and negotiating financing for new businesses, refinancings, business acquisitions, expansions, reorganizations, and succession plans. Her practice includes representing borrowers, guarantors and lenders in commercial and agricultural loan transactions.
In the area of business start-ups, Ginger assists entrepreneurs with entity formation, governance, contracts, real estate and financing. Her experience in working with creditors and debtors in collections, bankruptcies and business reorganizations gives Ginger a unique perspective in helping owners avoid financial pitfalls of starting and operating a business.
Since joining the firm in 1992, Ginger has served in leadership roles including Chair of the firm's Board of Directors, Managing Shareholder, and Practice Group Leader (current Co-Leader) for the Creditors' Rights, Business Bankruptcy and Commercial Litigation Practice Group. She currently serves on the board of the Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin.
Ginger was named "Madison Lawyer of the Year - Litigation-Bankruptcy" in 2021 by Best Lawyers, and was named "Madison Lawyer of the Year - Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law" in 2020, 2018 and 2016. She has been consistently included on lists for Best Lawyers (in three practice areas) and Wisconsin Super Lawyers, including "Top 25 Women" in Madison by Super Lawyers. In 2020, Ginger was included on the Lawdragon Inaugural "500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers" list, considered a pinnacle award. In addition, she was inducted into the Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, another exculsive honor. Ginger is rated AV (top rating) by Martindale-Hubbell and Lawyers.com, and 10.0 "Superb" on Avvo.com. Ginger was previously honored by the Wisconsin Law Journal as a "Women in the Law" for her work in the legal field and her support, mentoring, and encouragement of female attorneys in their careers.
Based in Murphy Desmond's Madison office, Ginger also is available by appointment in the firm's Appleton, Janesville, and Dodgeville offices.
- Wisconsin, 1985
- United States Supreme Court, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1985
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2015
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1985, J.D.
- Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia, 1982, B.S.B.A.
Honors: Cum Laude
Honors: Rhodes Scholar Nominee - 1982
Honors: Academic All-American Nominee - 1982
Awards & Recognition
- Fellows of the American Bar Foundation (2020 Inductee)
- Lawdragon Inaugural "500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers" (2020)
- Madison Lawyer of the Year - Litigation-Bankruptcy, Best Lawyers in America (2021)
- United Way of Dane County "Woman of the Year" Philanthropy Award, United Way Women's Leadership Council (2016)
- Madison Lawyer of the Year - Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Best Lawyers in America (2016, 2018, 2020)
- Rated 10.0 "Superb" on Avvo.com (2014 - Present)
- Best Lawyers in America - Bankruptcy Litigation (2009 - Present)
- Best Lawyers in America - Municipal Law (2009 - Present)
- Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell (2010 - Present)
- Top 25 Female Lawyers, Madison - Wisconsin Super Lawyers (2009, 2010, 2011, 2019)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers - Bankruptcy & Creditor-Debtor Rights (2008 - Present)
- Best Lawyers in America - Bankruptcy & Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency & Reorganization Law (2009 - Present)
Associations and Memberships
- International Women in Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation , Co-founding Member and Officer, WI Network (2018)
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- TEMPO Madison Membership Committee, 2011 - 2018
- American Heart Association Madison Chapter, Go Red for Women Executive Leadership Committee, 2009; Event Co-Chair 2010 and 2011
- United Way of Dane County Cabinet Member, 2009-2010, 2014-2015; Chair, Professional Services Division, 2010; Key Club Committee, 2011-2015; Chair 2014-2015; Women United / Women's Leadership Council, 2016-2018; Campaign Co-Vice Chair, 2020
- Tee-Up-For-Nursing Advisory Council, 2006
- University of Wisconsin, Women's Intercollegiate Sports Club, Inc., Past President and Past Vice President
- University of Wisconsin Women's Basketball Booster Club, Hoop Troop, 1993 - 1998 President
- University of Wisconsin Athletics Advisory Council, Member, 1997 - 2008
- Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program, Interviewer
- LPGA Amateur Golf / Executive Women's Golf Association, Madison Chapter, Board of Directors, President, 2005, Vice President, Co-Chair Heartland Section Championship Tournament, 2004; Madison Championship-Director, 2009, 2011
- LPGA Amateur Golf / Executive Women's Golf Association, Championship Task Force, 2006
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Western District Bankruptcy Bar, 1994 - 1995, Program Co-Chair
- Western District Bankruptcy Bar, 1989 - 1991, Secretary
- Western District Bankruptcy Bar Association, Member
- Dane County Bar Association, Courthouse Committee, 2005-2006
- Dane County Bar Association, 1993 - 1996, Member, Long Range Planning and PR Newsletter Committees
- Dane County Bar Association, 1991 - 1992, Member, Special Committee on Professionalism
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Agricultural Law Section, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Real Property Section, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy Insolvency and Creditors' Rights Section, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Business Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, State and Local Government Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Member
- Co-author: "Collections and Bankruptcy in Wisconsin" (2nd Edition), Wisconsin Business Advisor Series, PINNACLE, 2016 (and Annual Supplements)
- Author: "Moving Vehicles No Longer Hidden Treasure", American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, Lien on Me Column, November 2005
- Author: "Bankruptcy in Wonderland: What Alice Needs to Know", Wisconsin Woman, December 2006
- Speaker, Madison Estate Planning Council, Impact of Select Bankruptcy Issues on Estate Planning, February 2018
- Panelist, State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights Section, The Ethical Chapter 11 Case, March 2017
- Panelist, American Bankruptcy Institute, Central States Workshop, June 2016
- Conference Instructor, State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy, Insolvency & Creditors' Rights Section Retreat 2013 and Annual Meeting 2013
- Instructor, Turnaround Management Association, CTP Expert Witness Workshop, 2010
- Instructor, National Business Institute
- Seminar Instructor, Lorman Education Services
- Speaker, University of Wisconsin Law School, CLEW, Annual Debtor-Creditor Law Conference, 2005-2014
- Speaker, American Bankruptcy Institute, Professional Compensation Committee, 2004
- Instructor, General Practice Course, University of Wisconsin, 1999, 2001; Lawyering Skills Week, 1992, 2004, 2008, 2011, 2017