Attorney Matt Fleming is a shareholder at Murphy Desmond representing both public and private sector clients in municipal law and related areas including land use regulation, property tax assessment, eminent domain disputes, economic development, tax incremental financing, alcohol and other licensing and permitting issues, open meetings and public records law, ordinance drafting, real estate, special assessments and general litigation.
Matt is also an established presenter on municipal law issues. He has given Continuing Legal Education lectures on topics relating to local government law through Lorman, National Business Institute and the State Bar of Wisconsin, including Open Meetings and Public Records Law, Building Code Enforcement, Land Use and Property Tax Assessment. He has been a frequent lecturer at the University of Wisconsin Law School on Local Government Administrative Practice between 2009 and 2019.
Matt was named "2021 Madison Lawyer of the Year-Litigation-Land Use and Zoning" by Best Lawyers in America and is on Best Lawyers lists in two categories: Municipal Law and Litigation-Land Use and Zoning. In 2015, Fleming was recognized by Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com with an AV (top) rating. He was also named a "Rising Star" by Wisconsin Super Lawyers earlier in his career.
- Wisconsin, 1998
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1998
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1998, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin - Madison, 1994, B.S.
Awards & Recognition
- Madison Lawyer of the Year-Litigation-Land Use and Zoning, by Best Lawyers in America (2021)
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation-Land Use and Zoning (2019)
- Best Lawyers in America, Municipal Law (2019)
- Rated AV (top rating) by Martindale Hubbell
- "Rising Star" - Municipal Law, Wisconsin Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Magazine, 2006, 2007, 2011
Associations and Memberships
- Administrative Law and Local Government Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin, Board of Directors (2011 - 2014)
- Dane County Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Interviewed for feature article: "Lawyers: Foxconn lawsuit not your typical eminent-domain dispute," Wisconsin Law Journal (January 23, 2018)