Attorney Roy Fine focuses his legal practice on business transactions, estate planning, probate, real estate, finance, mergers and acquisitions, and intellectual property.
Roy has helped guide numerous businesses, from startups to well-established companies, to the next level through sound business planning. He assists clients with contract negotiations and drafting, trademarks and copyright, buy-sell agreements, employment issues, and real estate matters. He has worked with mature companies and family businesses to successfully transition to the next generation or to new ownership through proactive business succession practices. In addition, Roy has facilitated the resolution of numerous shareholder disputes. He has also assisted professionals such as physicians, dentists, engineers, architects, and others with employment and independent contractor agreements.
In estate planning, Roy helps couples and individuals prepare unique wills and trusts that effectively transfer legacies to their heirs, with special attention to tax implications. He handles complex estate planning for couples in second and subsequent marriages, prepares prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and assists with charitable giving strategies. Roy has significant experience with real estate transactions, transfer of property, special needs trusts, fiduciary disputes, and probate matters. He frequently advises clients on powers of attorney, including health care power of attorney and financial power of attorney.
A shareholder with Murphy Desmond and member of the firm's board of directors, Roy has over 35 years of serving business and estate planning clients. He is rated AV (top rating) by Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com, and is rated 10.0 "Superb" on Avvo.com. Roy is active in the community through memberships and organizations related to his personal interests and abilities, including his participation as a musician with the Fox Valley Symphony since 1986. He also volunteers to support the Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter and participates in charity runs.
Roy is available to serve clients in Murphy Desmond's offices located in Madison, Appleton, Janesville, and Dodgeville, Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin, 1982
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1986
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1983
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 1982, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1979, B.A.
Awards & Recognition
- AV Rated (top rating), Martindale-Hubbell/Lawyers.com
Associations and Memberships
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member (1982-Present)
- Winnebago County Bar Association, Mermber (1986-Present)
- Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra, Musician (1986-Present); Board-Secretary (1995-1999)
- Future Neenah, Inc., Board of Directors (1993-1995)
- Fox Cities British Car Club, Member (2001-Present)
- Wisconsin Jaguars, Ltd., Member (1991-Present)
- Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass, Board of Directors (2013-Present)
- Neenah Community Band, Musician (1986-1992)
- Fox Valley Road and Track Classic to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter (annual fundraiser), Founder/ Organizer (2000-Present)
- Articles in InSight and B2B magazines regarding business organizations and succession planning
- “Estate Planning for Glass Collectors,” Presenter, Searching for Excellence: Leaving a Legacy Symposium (September 2017)
- Fox Valley Technical College, Venture Center classes (2009-2012)
- Programs on business organizations and estate planning
Roy has a love of old cars and symphony music. Roy and his two sons restore sports and collector cars, as they are passionate about saving these special vehicles from the scrap yard. In addition, Roy plays the trombone in the Fox Valley Symphony and has had the pleasure of playing alongside famous guest artists including jazz trumpeter Doc Severinsen, Art Garfunkel, and Dennis DeYoung of STYX.