Attorney Roy Fine retired from his law practice on January 1, 2023, after serving Wisconsin clients for over 40 years. Roy’s legal practice focused on business transactions, estate planning, probate, real estate, finance, mergers and acquisitions, and intellectual property. He served clients in the firm’s Appleton, Madison, Janesville, and Dodgeville offices.
Roy’s clients are now being served by the following Murphy Desmond attorneys (contact information is included on each bio linked below) in their respective practice areas:
Roy’s business practice included helping guide numerous businesses, from start-ups to well-established companies, to the next level through sound business planning. He assisted clients with contract negotiations and drafting, trademarks and copyright, buy-sell agreements, employment issues, and real estate matters. He worked with mature companies and family businesses to successfully transition to the next generation or on to new ownership through proactive business succession practices.
In estate planning, Roy helped couples and individuals prepare unique wills and trusts that effectively transferred legacies to their heirs, with special attention to tax implications. He handled complex estate planning for couples in second and subsequent marriages, prepared prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and assisted with charitable giving strategies. He also handled special needs trusts, fiduciary disputes, and probate matters. Roy frequently advised clients on health care powers of attorney and financial powers of attorney. In addition, Roy handled numerous real estate transactions, transfers of property, property disputes, and purchase and sale of real estate.
Roy is recognized on lawyers.com and Martindale-Hubbell with an AV rating (top rating) by his peers. In addition, he is rated 10.0 Superb on Avvo.com, and has been nominated for Best Lawyers in America in several practice areas. Roy was a shareholder of the firm and served on its board of directors.
- Wisconsin, 1982
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1986
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1983
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 1982, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, 1979, B.A.
Awards & Recognition
- Rated 10.0 ("Superb") on Avvo.com
- AV Rated (top rating), Martindale-Hubbell/Lawyers.com
Associations and Memberships
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member (1982-Present)
- Winnebago County Bar Association, Mermber (1986-Present)
- Fox Valley Symphony Orchestra, Musician (1986-Present); Board-Secretary (1995-1999)
- Future Neenah, Inc., Board of Directors (1993-1995)
- Fox Cities British Car Club, Member (2001-Present)
- Wisconsin Jaguars, Ltd., Member (1991-Present)
- Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass, Board of Directors (2013-Present)
- Neenah Community Band, Musician (1986-1992)
- Fox Valley Road and Track Classic to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society-Wisconsin Chapter (annual fundraiser), Founder/ Organizer (2000-Present)
- Articles in InSight and B2B magazines regarding business organizations and succession planning
- “Estate Planning for Glass Collectors,” Presenter, Searching for Excellence: Leaving a Legacy Symposium (September 2017)
- Fox Valley Technical College, Venture Center classes (2009-2012)
- Programs on business organizations and estate planning
Roy has a love of old cars and symphony music. Roy and his two sons restore sports and collector cars, as they are passionate about saving these special vehicles from the scrap yard. In addition, Roy plays the trombone in the Fox Valley Symphony and has had the pleasure of playing alongside famous guest artists including jazz trumpeter Doc Severinsen, Art Garfunkel, and Dennis DeYoung of STYX.