Attorney Sarah DeKraay’s legal practice focuses on family law matters, which includes divorce, legal separation, pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, maintenance (alimony), custody, child support, placement, paternity, grandparents' rights, child removal cases, adoptions, and guardianships. She also handles post-divorce matters regarding children, child support, relocation and out-of-state custody issues, maintenance modifications, and contempt of court issues. Sarah is trained and experienced in the collaborative divorce model and serves as a mediator in divorce and family law cases.
A shareholder with Murphy Desmond, Sarah has extensive experience serving clients in Madison, Dane County, Janesville, and throughout southwestern Wisconsin. Sarah has presented on divorce topics at seminars sponsored by the Wisconsin State Bar, and has served as the Moderator at the Wisconsin State Bar Guardian ad Litem training seminar for the past several years. She is named on Best Lawyers in America in Family Law, rated 10.0 "Superb" on Avvo.com and was named a "Rising Star" by Wisconsin Super Lawyers in family law in 2012. In addition to her law degree, Sarah earned a Masters in Business Administration (M.B.A.) from UW-Madison in 2002.
Sarah formerly served as a board member of the First Tee of South Central Wisconsin (a youth development organization), and she is an avid supporter of junior golf. In her spare time, Sarah loves to travel, with her most recent travels to Cambodia and Singapore. In 2021, Sarah took on the amazing challenge of climbing to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania with her sisters.
- Wisconsin, 2002
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2002
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 2002
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 2001, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2002, Business Administration, M.B.A.
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 1988, Marketing, B.S.
Awards & Recognition
Associations and Memberships
- Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin, Member
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Member
- LPGA Amateur Golf Association (formerly Executive Women’s Golf Association), Past President
- First Tee of South Central Wisconsin, Board Member (2018 - 2022)
- Divorce Cooperation Institute, Inc., Member
- Dane County Family Law Assistance Program, Volunteer
- Dane County Mediation Program, Volunteer (2011 - Present)
- Dane County Bar Association, Member (2003 - Present)
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member (2002 - Present)
- Divorce Lawyer Sarah DeKraay Interviewed for "Talk Wisconsin"
- Marital Property Law Practice in Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin Pinnacle, 5th Edition (2019)
- “Financial Mistakes by Women During Marriage” Wisconsin Woman Magazine (2009)
- Moderator, State Bar of Wisconsin Guardian AD Litem Seminar (2015-Present)
- “Handling a Basic Divorce" State Bar of Wisconsin (2015)
- “Guardian ad Litem Training” Program moderator, State Bar of Wisconsin (2015)
Sarah loves to play golf. After college, she competed as a professional on the Ladies European Tour and the Ladies Asian Golf Tour. Her favorite course was in Bangkok, Thailand, where monkeys grabbed the golf balls if you hit an errant shot! She has had four hole-in-ones in her career, with the most memorable at the Women’s US Open.